<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 14, 2003

I am getting a bit sick and tired of our president paying lip service to things like free speech and decent health care. Especially since he does so almost exclusively in deference to other countries. The decent health care will go to the Iraqis, and the free speech? Well.....

Bush unfazed by UK protests

"I can understand people not liking war, if that's what they're there to protest," Bush said. "I fully understand not everybody is going to agree with the decisions I've made. I don't expect everybody to agree."

He added: "I admire a country which welcomes people to express their opinion. I'm proud of Great Britain's tradition of free speech."

Another nice gesture the president is willing to make in another country and not, apparently, at home, is to meet with the families of British soldiers killed in Iraq...

"I am going to meet some. There's two messages. One, the prayers of the American people and the prayers of the president are with them, as they suffer," [Bush] added.

"Secondly, that I will tell them that their loved ones did not die vain. The actions we have taken will make the world more secure and the world more peaceful in the long run."

It's great that he's willing to reach out to people like that. It's also unbelievable that he's unwilling to do it at home. But what's really unbelievable is the fact that so many people in this country still support him on the basis that they think he's a caring, down home, normal guy who'd attend their family barbecues. Let's all remember people, this is a man who seems to be shielded from the public at all costs, only appearing in public at carefully orchestrated events. This is also a man who has yet to attend the funeral service for one fallen soldier, and refers to any swath of the populace who disagrees with him as a meaningless "focus group".
Sorry sir, I thought we were called citizens. Oops-silly me. I'll be watching his Sate Visit to Britain very closely to see what unfolds. Mainly to see if his handlers will be able to once more shield Bush from what would be the first protesters he's seen since his innauguration.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?