<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Some political fundraising news-

On the democrats side-
Billionaire Soros takes on Bush Ousting president ‘central focus of my life,’ he says
     “America, under Bush, is a danger to the world,” Soros said. Then he smiled: “And I’m willing to put my money where my mouth is.”
       Soros believes a “supremacist ideology” guides this White House. He hears echoes in its rhetoric of his childhood in occupied Hungary. “When I hear Bush say, ‘You’re either with us or against us,’ it reminds me of the Germans.” It conjures up memories, he said, of Nazi slogans on the walls, Der Feind Hort mit (“The enemy is listening”): “My experiences under Nazi and Soviet rule have sensitized me,”

And on the republicans' side-

Politician or telemarketer? Majority Leader DeLay
uses offer of honor in pitch for funds


... First there was a recorded message: “This is Congressman Tom DeLay. I’m asking you to serve as an honorary chairman on our business advisory council, and you will be recognized with our national leadership award.”
       Then, a telemarketer came on the line: “You’d be invited to private dinners with congressmen and quarterly strategy sessions in Washington.”
       In the call, Helton was also promised an exclusive black-tie president’s dinner and his name in a newspaper ad....
... Past awardees include a convicted sex offender and a maker of drug paraphernalia — both awards were later rescinded.
       The award also is proudly displayed in the office of an adult film promoter, Harry Weiss, who sent Republicans a check from his company — “Nefarious Films.”
       “They cashed the check, so I guess they’re happy to have me aboard,” Weiss said.



Now, both of these could be used as arguements for campaign finance reform, and, that's one of the first bills I want to cross the president's desk, whoever he may be, in January of 2005. We need to get our country back before it officially becomes "America-a subsidiary of Monsanto!" But the Soros story was kinda funny, just cuz it's nice to see billionaires with concience, and the DeLay story really cracked me up. Somebody outta send him a copy of the "do not call" list if he's really selling awards-which is exactly what it sounds like he's doing.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?